I Destroyed Feed of Pop

No, this isn’t me being temperamental and deciding to end something just for the heck of it. I was actually trying to update the site to a more recent version of WordPress, only to then realize the most recent version of WP doesn’t support FeedWordPress, the plugin I use for the FoP aggregate. So I figure, why not just revert to a slightly older but still relatively new version of WordPress?

Long story short, I made a huge mess, nothing worked, and I decided it was easiest to just start over.

I have nightly backups of the Feed of Pop site and could restore all the lost entries, but decided against it. First, I wasn’t sure if I’d just fuck things up again. Second, I’m assuming most readers of the site only want the most recent blog entries. (I know there are times when looking for older material is helpful, but I just can’t afford the time to reconstruct a year’s worth of old blog entries.) Third, with all the blogs that have come and gone in the year-plus since I first started FoP, I decided that a true fresh start isn’t such a bad idea. Less detritus, a better chance to take in the blogosphere as it stands now.

Oh, and the Sunday Blog Roundup will be late again.

11 Responses to “I Destroyed Feed of Pop”
  1. jinryuichi says:

Oh dear…. 🙁

Oh well, a fresh start isn’t too bad. Let me know if you need any help. ^_^

2. Kd says:

Starting over’s not always a bad thing. ^_^

3. tsp says:

We are all in this together. Do what u think best Ray, you created it and I damn feel so glad that u did xd

Shit happens. I don’t totally understand some of this HTML and PHP shit (and I’ve been on the internet for ten years!!).

I like the new look for Feedofpop.com, too (save for the YODC convention pic ROFLMAO). I need to find or get done a better design for MotokoAoyama.com.

5. pengie says:

Good luck! Let me know if you need any help!

6. thea says:

actually i was surprised to see almost nekkid kat-tun lol. i immediately tried to look for the entry that explains and i guess this is it? yeah i think most people like the mroe recent entries, and if they want stuff from a year ago, they can go check it out at the feed itself.

7. Ray Mescallado says:

Well, everything seems back to normal – keeping my fingers crossed, knocking on wood. Actually, the new versions of WordPress and FeedWordPress give me more control, so updating turned out to be a good idea despite the momentary grief. Entries older than a week have to be re-categorized and I have to add in the various non-FoP links, but the FoP ship is now sailing smoother…

As for the KAT-TUN image, I figured I haven’t done a non-female idol image yet – so what we call “the YODC meeting” photo over in the forum seemed a natural choice. If I’m feeling really bold, I may try a VK header image soon, too.

8. damnit..I told Craig to burn those pictures!!

9. American Wota stands on its own merits. Since I have little knowledge of the Feed of Pop site, I realize I likely don’t know what I’m talking about, but I really like AW and maybe you can post more often w/o another site taking up time, effort, lifeforce and bandwidth.

10. pengie says:

Radical: Feed of Pop is a collection of RSS feeds, not a whole different blog. I can’t speak for Ray, honestly, but I don’t think it takes up so much time that it’s keeping him from AW. He has a baby to take care of, you know… x_x;

11. wu-san says:

oh dear, everythings up and running again by the looks of it, good work 😛 *thumbs up*

and yep, I’ll follow suit here, sometimes its good to get a new start, even if it was a result from something a bit, well, messy XD

keep it up