Earthquakes and Blackouts Suck…

… But we’re doing fine.

Special thanks to those of you who dropped a line, wondering how me and my family are. Let me assure everyone that we’re doing okay. We felt one of the earthquakes between 7:30 and 8:00, I was already up but it shook my wife awake and scared her. Haru Moni slept through it. Soon after, the electricity shut down all over the island of Oahu, and remained shut down throughout the day. For us, the power came back on late Sunday night.

This experience did get me to thinking, though. I was in Iowa City when a tornado tore through it in 1999. I was supposed to fly from Honolulu to Iowa on September 11, 2001. I was in Florida summer 2004 during Hurricane Charlie and all those other hurricanes that tore through the state. I’ve been through numerous blizzards in New York and Iowa. And now this…

What that all means, I dunno. But it’s an interesting variety of disaster experiences, isn’t it?

So, Sunday Blog Roundup will be up Monday night Hawaii time, and the second round of the forum’s PV VS is already up and open for debate. And actually, I’ll be posting other stuff this week too, for a change! (Paternal leave from Jpop blogging is officially over.)

That is, if I’m not running away from volcanic lava or anything… That’s something I haven’t faced yet!

7 Responses to “Earthquakes and Blackouts Suck…”

Glad you’re safe, bro… second I heard about it on CNN I was like, “Oh shit! What about Ray and Haruna Moni?!?”

2. pengie says:

Yeah, I was a little worried too, especially since I know a few others in Hawaii. Luckily everybody’s fine. Glad to hear you and the family are safe and sound.

3. Chuck says:

Glad to hear you’re all right (and Haru Moni didn’t even get disturbed, wow). I was worried when I saw you hadn’t posted a Sunday Blog Roundup.

I can’t believe how many disasters you’ve been through. Somehow, I always happen to just miss any disaster that happens in a place. I lived in Tennessee for years without seeing any tornadoes, I’ve lived in California for 13 years without any earthquakes, and the wildfires that burnt up all the places around me stopped just short of my neighborhood. Seems like you manage to get out of stuff all right, though, so that’s good. You certainly seem to have it more interesting than some.

4. Johnny says:

Whew, good to know you and family are okay.

How bad was the earthquake? How’s the house? Any damage?

The worst disaster I’ve experienced was the big earthquake that rocked Bagiuo in 1992.

Anyway, glad to know everything’s alright.

5. Julia says:

*Feels like shit for not even knowing there was an earthquake*
    That’s it, I’m playing CNN in the background while I go online now, instead of bullshit MTV with a bunch of retards who don’t even have anything to do with music…wow, well I’m glad you’re all okay!

6. Beth says:

Haha, really?? I actually love earthquakes. I’ve been in three since I came to japan on exchange last March!! The most recent was actually right before the earthquakes hit Hawaii. It was a really loooong quake too… Like, it was 6:30 am and, well, here’s what I wrote in my lj about it:

“EARTHQUAKES FREAKING RULE!!

I was in another one the other day. It was 6:30 am and I wake up to the whole house moving. I was sorta outta it, ya know, cuz I was still half asleep. So I was like “why are there a bunch of trucks driving past the house?” and then I was like “oh it’s an earthquake. well, back to sleep then” and I fell back asleep. But it was really looong, I mean… it was long enough to wake me up and have me thinking about earthquakes before it stopped. AWESOME. ”

TYPHOONS… now THOSE suck. Umbrella’s are useless in a typhoon. And school uniforms soak up a LOT of water. I’m speaking from experience here. 😀

7. Ray Mescallado says:

There’s no damage here at the house, or even really in most of Oahu from what I gather. If anything, the all-day blackout was the biggest inconvenience for most of us here. The damage on the Big Island is pretty bad, based on what I saw in the news, though I’d seen much worse from Hurricane Charlie (which literally flattened a town less than twenty miles from where I lived at the time – as in, not a single building left standing).

My first earthquake experience was kind of like what Beth went through, back when I lived in the Bay Area (Fremont, actually) at the start of the millenium. I woke up, felt my bed swing way over to the right, then left – WAY too much over, like I was reeling on stilts, except it wasn’t just the bed but the whole house – and then realized it was an earthquake. It then stopped and I went back to sleep.

Oh, and I just remembered: when I was living in the Philippines briefly in the late 80s, I experienced a typhoon and a coup d’etat attempt (post-Marcos). So add that to my list.